Menu Close

Societies and Cooperative Associations

Societies and cooperatives

BC societies, and housing and community service cooperative associations.

The CRT has jurisdiction over disputes about incorporated BC societies, and housing and community service cooperative associations.

  • These claims are usually about access to documents, issues with meetings or voting, enforcing its constitution or bylaws, or interpretation of the Societies Act.
  • We can’t take claims about harassment, bullying or slander. We also can’t take claims about membership issues.
  • Societies and cooperative associations must have a contact person for a CRT claim. The contact person must be a director, officer, or authorized employee. This is in the CRT Rules. Learn more about having a contact person.

Get started with our Solution Explorer

The Solution Explorer is free and anonymous. It asks you simple questions and gives you customized legal information and options based on your answers. Its self-help tools, like communication templates, might help you resolve your issue on your own.

Want to make a CRT claim?

The Solution Explorer will classify your issue and give you the right online application form. You might want to read our application checklist before making a claim.

We will review your application as soon as possible.

Did someone make a CRT claim against you?

Use the Solution Explorer to get free legal information about the issues in the claim. Then come back here to respond to the claim.

Let’s get started! What is your issue about? 

A cooperative incorporated in BC
A society incorporated in BC
Continue a saved exploration