Menu Close

Small Claims

Small claims

Claims up to $5,000 about things you bought or sold, loans, personal property, contracts, roommates, pets, and more.

The CRT has jurisdiction over most small claims disputes up to $5,000.

  • We can’t take claims about harassment, slander or defamation, or the division of family property.
  • We can’t enforce orders made by the Residential Tenancy Branch (RTB) or other tribunals.
  • Businesses and organizations must have a contact person for a CRT claim. The contact person must be a partner, owner, sole proprietor, or authorized employee. This is in the CRT Rules. Learn more about having a contact person.

Get started with our Solution Explorer

The Solution Explorer is free and anonymous. It asks you simple questions and gives you customized legal information and options based on your answers. Its self-help tools, like communication templates, might help you resolve your issue on your own.

Want to make a CRT claim?

The Solution Explorer will classify your issue and give you the right online application form. You might want to read our application checklist before making a claim.

We will review your application as soon as possible.

Did someone make a CRT claim against you?

Use the Solution Explorer to get free legal information about the issues in the claim. Then come back here to respond to the claim.

Let’s get started! What is your issue about?

Construction and renovations
Buying goods and services
Selling goods and services
Housing and roommates
Injuries and accidents
Loans and money lending
Personal property and land
Not sure? Make a general claim up to $5,000
Continue a saved exploration

Watch Barbara’s story!

Barbara bought a new couch. It broke a few days after being delivered, but the furniture company won’t give her a refund.

See how the Solution Explorer can help Barbara understand her options, and how easy it is to make a CRT claim.