What is the strata Solution Explorer?

The Solution Explorer is the first step in the CRT process. It gives you free legal information and self-help tools.

If necessary, you can make a CRT claim right from the Solution Explorer. Click below to get started!

What You Need to Know Before You Start

  • What is a strata?

    A strata corporation is a legal entity, and is a form of property ownership.

    Many condominiums and townhomes are strata properties.

    Strata corporations are regulated under the Strata Property Act. They must have an elected strata council, which runs the the strata corporation.

    Since a strata corporation is a legal entity, it can enter into contracts and hire employees, and can sue or be sued.

  • What are strata disputes?

    Disputes under the CRT’s strata property jurisdiction involve a wide variety of issues between strata owners or tenants and their strata corporation or section, such as:

    • Interpretation and enforcement of the Strata Property Act, regulations, bylaws or rules
    • Issues about common property or assets of the strata corporation, including maintenance and repairs
    • Money owed, including strata fees, special levies and fines
    • Unfair actions, threatened actions or decisions of the strata or section
    • Irregularities in meetings, voting, minutes or other governance issues

    In a strata property dispute, the CRT can make an order requiring a party to do something, stop doing something, or pay money.

  • What is a section?

    Some strata corporations form separate sections (such as commercial or residential) that operate independently from the strata corporation.

    Each section has their own executive, budget, and bylaws and rules. Sections are created by bylaw.

    Sections hold separate executive and general meetings and are their own legal entities, separate from the strata corporation.

  • Strata Documents

    You might need to review documents and records relating to your strata (condominium) issue.

    Read our How to Find Strata Documents and Records guide for help.

  • Limitation Periods

    If you have a legal claim that can go to a court or a tribunal, the case almost always has to be started within a set period of time. After this time runs out, a court or tribunal can refuse your claim, no matter how strong your case would have been.

    The time limit is called a “limitation period.” It’s like a countdown, and you have to start your case with the Civil Resolution Tribunal or a court before it runs out.

    Learn more about limitation periods.

  • Application Checklist

    Before you start the application process to make a claim with the CRT, make sure you have all of the following information ready. You will be given an opportunity to create a user account and password, in case you need to leave the application and return later.

    • Names, email addresses, and mailing addresses for all applicants.
    • Names and mailing addresses for all respondents.
    • If the dispute involves a strata, the strata corporation’s legal name (as shown on the strata plan) and address.
    • If the dispute involves a strata section, the strata section’s legal name (found in the bylaws) and address.
    • A description of the dispute.
    • What you would like the other side to do to fix the dispute, including any money you want them to pay.
    • Name and contact information for your representative, if you plan to ask for permission to have one.
    • Credit card or cheque to pay CRT fees.
    • If you can’t pay the fees and want to ask for a fee waiver, you need information that shows you have a low income. This includes details about your household income and the value of any real estate you own.

    Need help? Ask a trusted friend or family member to help you with your application. We think it’s great to have this kind of support. Learn more about who can help you.

  • Strata Property Act and Strata Property Regulations

    The Solution Explorer might recommend that you refer to a section of the Strata Property Act and/or Strata Property Regulations for more information. This is the legislation that applies to strata property in British Columbia.

  • Web Resources

    If you need more help with your strata issue, you may want to contact the Condominium Home Owners Association of B.C. (CHOA) or the Vancouver Island Strata Owners Association (VISOA).

    You can also visit the BC Ministry of Housing’s “Find it Fast” site index of all their strata topics and information.