Under the BC Residential Tenancy Act, the Residential Tenancy Branch (RTB) has jurisdiction over most housing-related disputes. This includes claims about rent, damage or security deposits, costs for repairing damage, and other amounts related to a tenancy.

But the Civil Resolution Tribunal (CRT) can resolve some types of housing-related disputes, such as roommates, an owner you share a kitchen and/or bathroom with, and short-term and vacation rentals.

Claims must be within the CRT’s small claims limit (currently $5,000). The CRT can’t order someone to do something, like fix property damage, return all copies of the house keys, or move out.

The Solution Explorer will give you the appropriate options and next steps for your situation.

What You Need To Know Before You Start

  • About limitation periods

    Please review this short information sheet about limitation periods. It’s about how long you have to take action on your problem. It’s very important.

  • Documents you may need

    To resolve your housing dispute, you’ll need evidence about your rental contract or agreement. You might have a formal written contract that states all the terms, or just an informal agreement.

    You might also find terms of your rental agreement in:

    • Emails or texts from your landlord or roommate
    • Handwritten notes or receipts from your landlord or roommate
  • Can I make a CRT claim against my spouse or former spouse?

    Under the BC Family Law Act, the BC Supreme Court has jurisdiction over family debt and family property disputes.

    The Civil Resolution Tribunal (CRT) may not be able to take claims that involve family debt or family property, including pets.

    If you need help understanding your resolution options, you may want to get professional advice.

  • What can the CRT order someone to do?

    Your application must ask for payment of something, such as costs for fixing damage or changing the locks.

    The CRT can’t order someone to do something, like fix property damage or return all copies of the house keys.

    The CRT also can’t order someone to move out (eviction).