What is the small claims Solution Explorer?

The CRT will start accepting small claims disputes on June 1, 2017.

The Solution Explorer will give you free legal information and tools to resolve your small claims dispute. Get ready to explore by reading through this page first.

How Do I Use the Solution Explorer?

The Solution Explorer is the first step in the CRT process. We’ll give you information and self-help tools. When the CRT opens for small claims disputes on June 1, 2017, you’ll be able to apply to the CRT for dispute resolution right from the Solution Explorer. The Solution Explorer is free to use.

What are small claims disputes?

Small claims disputes involve a wide variety of issues between individuals and organizations. Click on the dispute area that you think best fits your issue:

  • Buying and selling goods and services: issues related to the purchase and sale of goods and services, including disputes over payment, quality, and damage.
  • Loans and debts: issues related to borrowing and lending money where the lender is in the business of lending money or extending credit. Examples include credit card debts, overdue loans, and overdraft bank or credit card accounts.
  • Construction and renovations: issues related to the construction, improvement, or renovation of a building.
  • Employment: issues related to some employment disputes. This area doesn’t include union disputes or contractors. Many employment disputes must be resolved by the Employment Standards Branch.
  • Insurance disputes: issues involving insurance. This can include people providing insurance, people who have or want it, and others, including brokers.
  • Personal injury, including motor vehicle injuries and accidents: issues related to injuries and accidents, including injuries that resulted from motor vehicle accidents and ICBC disputes.
  • Property: issues related to personal property (like personal belongings) and intangibles (including intellectual property, artistic properties, stocks, bonds or other securities, contracts, lease agreements and virtual property).

Click on the dispute area that you think best fits your issue. If none of these categories fits your issue, visit the general dispute area.

When can I make a claim with the CRT?

Starting June 1, 2017, the CRT will have jurisdiction to resolve small claims disputes $5,000 and under. This monetary limit will increase in the future. The value of the claims in a dispute must fall within this amount, even if you are asking for goods or things other than money. Most claims for interest and expenses don’t have to be included in the amount.

If you have a claim higher than this amount, you can abandon the amount above $5,000 and make your claim with the CRT. If you abandon the amount above $5,000, you won’t be able to claim the higher amount anywhere else.

If your claim is for more than $5,000, and you want to claim for the entire amount, visit the BC Small Claims Court (Provincial Court) for claims $35,000 and under or BC Supreme Court for claims above $35,000.

Remember that limitation periods may apply. A limitation period is how long you have to take action on your problem. If you think your limitation period might be running out, consider going to court or seeking legal advice.