How can I make a claim with the CRT?

Start with our Solution Explorer! It diagnoses your dispute. Free legal information and tools like customized letter templates can help you resolve your dispute on your own.

If necessary, you can make a claim with the CRT right from the Solution Explorer. It will send you to the correct application form for your type of dispute.

Click a dispute area to get started!

The Solution Explorer is free and confidential. You can explore as many dispute areas as you want, as often as you want. It doesn’t ask for any personal information until you start the application process to make a claim with the CRT.

Before making a claim, you should also read about limitation periods.




Small Claims


Motor Vehicle Accidents and Injuries


Societies and Co-operatives

Societies & Co-operatives

Coming soon!

If none of these categories fits your issue, visit the general dispute area.

First time using the Solution Explorer?

This 3 minute video will show you how to use the Solution Explorer.

  • What kind of disputes can the CRT help with?

    The CRT can resolve small claims disputes $5,000 and under and strata (condominium) disputes of any amount.

    Learn More

  • What is a small claims dispute?

    Small claims disputes involve a wide variety of issues between individuals and organizations. For example, disputes about insurance claims, personal injury, buying or selling goods or services, residential construction, employment, and more. The CRT can resolve small claims disputes $5,000 and under.

    Learn More

  • What is a strata dispute?

    Strata disputes involve a wide variety of issues between strata owners, tenants, sections of a strata, and strata corporations. For example, disputes about strata fees, fines, neighbours, bylaws and rules, nuisance, common property, and how the strata council or section executive conducts meetings, hearings and other business.

    Learn More

  • What information do I need to apply for dispute resolution?

    Before you start your application, make sure you have all of the following information ready. You will be given an opportunity to create a user account and password, in case you need to leave the application and return later.

    • Names, mailing addresses, phone numbers and email addresses for all the applicants.
    • Names and mailing addresses for all the respondents.
    • If the dispute involves a strata, the strata corporation’s legal name, section number, and address if applicable
    • If a respondent is a business or organization, the legal name of the business or organization and its registered mailing address. If you are not sure about the name of a business that you have a claim against, contact the local business licence office at the municipal or city hall where the business is located. Ask for the correct name of the business and the name of the owner.
    • A description of the dispute.
    • What you would like the other side to do, including any money you want them to pay. Note that the maximum amount you can claim in a CRT small claim is $5,000, excluding fees paid to the CRT, expenses, and interest.
    • The name and contact information for your representative, if you are asking permission to have one.
    • Credit card or cheque to pay CRT fees.
    • If you can’t pay the fees and want to ask the CRT to waive them, information on your household income, including details about your household income and the value of any real estate you own.
  • What are the CRT’s Rules?

    Under the Civil Resolution Tribunal Act, we’re required to have a set of rules.  Rules are a bit like an instruction guide. They help to make the CRT fair, transparent, and consistent.

    Learn More

  • Does my small claims dispute belong in BC?

    It can be difficult to know where a claim should be made if it involves people and events that happen in more than one Canadian province or territory, or other countries.

    The CRT may need to know whether the events that gave rise to the claim happened in BC, or whether the person the claim is made against (called the respondent) lives in BC. Even if the events that gave rise to the claim happened in BC or if the respondent lives in BC, the CRT may still decide that it’s not the right body to resolve the dispute.

    CRT Jurisdiction