Menu Close

What kind of evidence should I submit?

Evidence is material that supports your side of the claim, or disproves someone else’s side. You should only give evidence that is relevant. Keep it focused on the facts of the dispute.

If you’re a participant in a CRT claim, you may want to start gathering your evidence early, so you’re ready when it’s time to upload it.

Learn more about evidence.

Can the CRT help me get evidence?

If you’re not sure what evidence you should submit for your claim, you may want to get legal advice.

The CRT can’t give legal advice, tell you what kind of evidence would help your case, or arrange to get evidence for you.

What formats can I use for evidence?

Evidence must be in digital (electronic) format. For example:

  • PDF or Word documents
  • Digital photos or videos
  • Email (Submit one file for the full email chain, not separate files for each email in the chain)

What are some typical kinds of evidence?

It depends on what your claim is about. Evidence could include things like:

  • Contracts or agreements
  • Letters, texts or emails
  • Medical records like reports, assessments, and receipts
  • Photos or videos that show damage, the layout of a building, an accident scene, etc
  • Invoices, receipts, quotes, or other accounting records
  • Demand letters for payment
  • Proof of lost wages or income
  • Work orders or time records
  • Minutes from strata council meetings or annual general meetings
  • Letters about complaints and strata bylaw infractions
  • Witness statements
  • Expert evidence

Don’t submit website links as evidence. Websites can change over time. But you can submit screenshots of the website pages and include the date you took the screenshots.

Each dispute is limited to 2GB of file storage. Only upload evidence that’s relevant to the claims in the dispute. For large files, consider reducing the file size.

Can you help me organize my evidence?

Use our Evidence Worksheet to help you organize your evidence. Send your completed worksheet to your case manager when they tell you to.