Menu Close

What is a Notice of Objection?

You can only file a Notice of Objection if the CRT decision is given on or before June 30, 2022. It has to be filed within 28 days from when you receive the decision. Read more about this.


For small claims only, if you don’t agree with the CRT’s final decision, you may be able to file a Notice of Objection.

There’s a time limit to file a Notice of Objection. It must be filed within 28 days after you receive the CRT decision. The CRT can’t extend this deadline.

Who can file a Notice of Objection?

  • Final decisions: any participant
  • Default decisions: only the applicant
  • Non-compliance decision: only a participant who wasn’t non-compliant

How do I file a Notice of Objection?

  1. Fill out and submit a Notice of Objection form.
  2. Pay the Notice of Objection filing fee. Follow the payment instructions in the form.

What happens after I file a Notice of Objection?

  1. We’ll review your Notice of Objection form. We’ll contact you if we need to clarify information or haven’t received your fee payment.
  2. If your Notice of Objection form was filed properly and by the filing deadline, the final decision isn’t binding on any party. This means the decision won’t be enforceable in court.
  3. We’ll close the claim and send all participants a CRT Certificate of Completion.

What if I want to continue the claim?

If a decision isn’t enforceable because of a Notice of Objection but you want to continue your claim, you can file a Notice of CRT Claim with the BC Provincial Court. Include your CRT Certificate of Completion with the filing.

  • You will get a new process with the BC Provincial Court, including a settlement conference or pre-trial conference and a trial.
  • The Small Claims Rules specify which Provincial Court registry the Notice of CRT Claim must be filed in.
  • Once filed, you must serve the Notice of CRT Claim on the other participants.
  • The Provincial Court may order a participant to pay a deposit for some or all of the amount of the CRT decision.
  • If you filed the Notice of Objection and don’t get a better outcome in the BC Provincial Court than you did in the CRT’s decision, the Provincial Court might order you to pay a penalty to the other participants.

For more information, see the BC Court Services Guide to Making a Claim for Proceedings Previously Initiated at the CRT.

You may want to get legal advice. The CRT can’t help you file a Notice of CRT Claim, or give you advice about the court process.