Menu Close

Blog Post


New Solution Explorer Area for Housing Disputes

The CRT’s Solution Explorer continues to grow!

On September 30, 2019 at 3pm we’ll be launching our newest Solution Explorer area, “Housing”.

Our Solution Explorer offers free legal information and tools that can help you resolve your dispute. To apply for CRT dispute resolution, choose “Make a claim with the CRT” when asked what you’d like to do about your dispute.

This new area includes free legal information and tools for disputes about:

  • Roommate issues, like paying for damage or unpaid rent
  • Issues when a tenant is sharing a kitchen and/or bathroom with an owner
  • Vacation and short-term housing, like hotel deposits or property damage
  • Other housing claims that the Residential Tenancy Branch (RTB) doesn’t have jurisdiction over, or has refused jurisdiction over

But the CRT can’t take disputes about:

  • Evicting someone
  • Ordering someone to do or stop doing something
  • Enforcing Residential Tenancy Branch (RTB) orders
  • Landlord/tenant disputes that fall under Residential Tenancy Branch (RTB) jurisdiction

Our Housing Solution Explorer will guide you through options for your situation.

Housing and shared accommodation claims are under the CRT’s small claims jurisdiction. That means you can claim a maximum of $5,000.


If you have any questions about this new Solution Explorer area, or the Solution Explorer in general, please contact us. We rely on public feedback to improve how we serve you.